I see TONS of lists on long hiking gear lists and found some dayhiking lists (see below) but they are harder to find and probably what more people are doing.
For my pack, I have a camelback bag that's probably about a 30 liter bag. The very back of the bag has a separate compartment for a 1.5 liter camelback.
Below is the gear that lives in my bag for all hikes -
- Extra hair band
- Headlamp with extra battery
- Lip balm w/ SPF
- Cell phone
- Long sleeve shirt
- Beef Jerky (or some food/snack)
- Trail map (I typically pick it up from the visitor center)
- Sun Block (Yes, I have two - 30 and 70 SPF)
- Bug spray
- First Aid tape
- Pens and pencil
- Wet ones, travel size
- First Aid and survial gear
- Emergency blanket
- Emergency Whistle - It's a five in one!
- Rei microfiber towel
- Sunglasses (not pictures - they live on my head)
- MSR water filter
- Rain coat
- flip flips
- Hat (not pictured)
- Swiss Knife (not pictured)
Here's what some other people suggest:
- Backpacking.net's Dayhiking list
- The Backpacker.com's list with weights
- Erik the Black has what I consider one of the best lists
I think next week, I'll break down the first aid and other emergency gear. Until then!